Citizen science

Home Forums Save the Teifi Forum Citizen science

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NDCrisp
    Keymaster

The Save the Teifi meeting on 4-May-23 decided to use the Forum to co-ordinate action on this topic through the Forum

See the fourth meeting report for the main discussion: https://www.teifi.one/reports/04b-fourth-meeting-9-mar-2023

Additional notes from fifth meeting:

• This topic was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by NDCrisp.
    jude firth
    Participant

I would be interested in being part of this subgroup as discussed in the last meeting

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by NDCrisp.
    NDCrisp
    Keymaster

This is from a contact in Welsh Waters as a response to a specific enquiry about using their community funding  for citizen science…

Hi.
    My comment about unsuccessful applications was in reference to a different biodiversity programme I suggested for CLEAN.

In terms of Community/Cit Sci Fund – I’m not aware of any application for sampling equipment to either fund be successful. That’s not saying it wouldn’t be, but I’m just not aware of any. It’s historically not been something we support (for multiple reasons) and equally I believe NRW have been of a similar stance.

As you may have read, the Citizen Science programme requires support from an eNGO, Uni, consultancy etc, so it may be an idea to discuss the use/benefit/limitations of sampling equipment with them.

I hope that helps.

NDCrisp
    Keymaster
    NDCrisp
    Keymaster

It’s been suggested we contact friends of upper wye about there citizen science programme and relationship with NRW. This is their reply…

“Oh my goodness, solidarity! Welcome to the struggle. We have had the most unbelievably frustrating/appalling/disheartening experience with NRW. We started setting up our citizen science project on the River Wye in 2020, and co-designed it through a rigorous process with Cardiff University (with NRW and EA input). We have been operational with over 100 citizen scientists since 2021. NRW are still ‘considering’ how/whether to use our data. Whereas on the English side, the EA reference our data in their reports and are far more proactive (not perfect, and could do better, but much better than NRW). ”

NDCrisp
    Keymaster

See… https://afonyddcymru.org/get-involved/

The “Citizen Science” movement has expanded significantly in the past few years in Wales. People concerned with the state of their local streams have been eager to get involved in river restoration and protection, anxious to do what they can to help resolve issues of water quality and biodiversity loss.

As a result, citizen science groups have been emerging across Wales. Their volunteer members undertake various activities from water sampling, litter clearance and issue reporting.

The regional Welsh river trusts all have their own citizen science or other volunteer initiatives. If you would like to help and to join them the links to the various trusts are below. Often, no prior experience is needed and they will provide the training, equipment and guidance.

Other ways to get involved….

Spotting and Reporting River Pollution.
    Do you regularly walk along your local river? Can you spot pollution? We have a simple guide: https://afonyddcymru.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/What-you-can-do-to-prevent-pollution.pdf for spotting pollution and what to do.

The Great River Watch
    In September 2023 a new app will be launched across the UK which will allow anyone to report anything they come across when walking next to a river. See here: https://afonyddcymru.org/big-river-watch/ for more information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.